Tuesday, October 26, 2010

13 – Less plants than promised

It has been quite some time since my last post but I have been terribly busy. I didn't have time to yet alone fire up the IDE, not to mention anything about writing actual code. Luckily, I was busy with fun stuff so I don't really mind!

Last time I promised more plant stuff, but this post is less about plants and more about the interface, and more precisely the editor. As I said, I was no completely happy with it. So I have redone it:

This is more like it! I is a lot better if you want to have a good overview when you are designing your whole set of items. It also allows for easy in-place editing of items:

It also has a nifty right click menu:

The second tab allows for the definition of the tree data:

...while the third allows you to edit animals:

The animal editor will feature a light redesign since animals are more complicated than I have anticipated. While the editor is by no means perfect and a little bit rushed, it is a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, the animals are only featured in the editor and are not present in-game yet.

The biome editor is also broken, but I don't need it right now and don't really know what to do with it.

Something else that is not visible is that the editor now creates the tile set images from a lot of small files from the disk. I used to have a tile set created by hand, with every image placed individually and a border around each tile to make the editing easier. But this approach proved to be quite cumbersome when trying to insert an image in the middle.

Having this new and improved editor makes me want to share it with other people, so I am hopping that in the near future I can polish it a little and make it public. I will be able to publish the editor a lot sooner than the first version of the game.

And since I want the editor to be full featured, I will be separating it from the rest of the game. It will be a stand alone executable. This will involve me separating the project into three packages: DHCore, which offers basic functionality and world modeling, DH, which offers the interface and game mechanics, and DHEditor. So this is the last time I will be posting statistics for the whole project. I will rather post them for every single package.

Statistics S26:
3801 loc/ 100.0 KiB/ 28 files

No comments:

Post a Comment