Even though I am not a home, I managed to get a little thing done. I tried my hand at some modelling. I am not a 3D modeler and things are best left to the professionals like BrewStew and Tor, but I probably won't be able to rely on others for everything.
So I modeled this:
Right now you are probably thinking "What super awesome game feature calls for that thing? What is it? Some kind of a container? Maybe a coffin? OMG! Snapshot 3 is going to have combat!". Well, I walked into the kitchen, looked at the first object I saw that was not very simple and then tried to recreate it from memory. It is a casserole.
Blender allows you to render you models using different effects. This render is done with smoothing to make the polygons less visible:
Of course, a smooth operation can loose some fine detail, so I had to go in and adjust the mesh a little, getting this final result:
If you look carefully at the edges and the little ear used to open the casserole you will see that it is more detailed, less blurry and easier to identify the shape.
Now let's see how it looks in game. For some strange reason when exporting this mesh I must face the normals in the opposite direction as all the other meshes I have. Must be some weird Blender beginner's error. But still the result ain't half bad:
But after playing around with smoothing and export options I managed to get this result:
This is so much better! I don't know exactly what I did. First I must see if I can reproduce it. And apply it to other shapes. I don't have the necessary tools right now with me to determine what impact this change has on item complexity and performance. But there is a small chance that things are going to start looking a lot better from now on! And if not here maybe in my next game!